Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bittersweet

Well...it's finally here. The D-word.

Deployment.

I have to admit it was somewhat of a relief dropping Justin off at the pier at 8:30 this morning. Don't get me wrong, I love my husband and hated knowing that our last hug would have to carry me through the next seven months. But despite our tearful goodbye, I couldn't help feeling like a giant weight had been lifted from my shoulders as I drove away. This deployment has been hanging over us for the entire first year of our marriage. We have planned, prepared, prayed over it and were as ready as we could be for a first deployment. The outpouring of love and support from our friends and family  certainly helped and I can truly say that today, I have felt your prayers.

USS Mitscher, DDG-57

I didn't stick around to see them "man the rails" (see above) or watch the ship pull out...I honestly didn't see the point. I headed to work and grabbed a Starbucks along the way. I should mention that I love my job. I work as an accountant in a small office over my boss's garage in Chesapeake. Her and her husband are also the property managers of the condo we live in and her brother owns the unit that I rent. Small world? Nah, that's just Chesapeake. 

I got a quick goodbye phone call from Justin just before they pulled out of port at 11:00am.  Other than that, my day progressed as usual. I came home to an empty apartment but even that is not uncommon. Justin had duty every fifth night, meaning he spent that night on the ship and didn't come home. So tonight I sat on my couch, took in the silence, and enjoyed doing absolutely nothing for the first time in months.

Fair winds and following seas, my love!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment