Sunday, May 22, 2011

First Anniversary

Does anyone still follow that old, traditional wedding anniversary gift guideline?

If you're as in the dark about this as I was, allow me to enlighten you. You've probably heard of the silver and golden anniversaries, referring to the 25th and 50th year of marriage, respectively. But what about the 5th, 10th, or 15th year? Fortunately for the clueless among us, there is a long-standing custom of giving specific gifts for each anniversary. If the original list is too dated for you, just check out the modern version. Here's a peek:

Click image to see full list

Personally I'd rather stick to the traditional list, if I'm going to stick to a list. Luckily year one is just paper, which was easy to accomplish during deployment with the help of some Hallmark cards!

I got TWO cards (one funny, one sweet)

It's mind-blowing to think of everything that has transpired during the last year. Our first year of marriage has been a wonderful adventure together. I know that sounds so cliche but that's really what it was, considering that in the last year we:
  • got married
  • moved 1500 miles from home
  • went on active duty
I don't know another word more qualified than "adventure" to so perfectly encapsulate the past year's experiences. I can only hope to look back one day and say the same about the next 50 years, but I'm in no rush to get there. I'm happy just enjoying each day along the way.

And in honor of our anniversary, I decided to share our wedding album. Enjoy!



Fair winds and following seas!

Stephanie

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! Cory gave me traditional gifts each year on our anniversary for the first 5 years. 1 - I got my own stationary, lots of variety with my name on each one, 2 - we were in PA on a family vacation and we bought an amish quilt, 3 - we got Jack, our dog, with a "leather" collar. 4 - can't remember this one :(, but 5 - was a wooden baby crib...just in time for Caden's arrival! I can't believe I remember all those!

    I can imagine this time in your life is hard without Justin, but you will make it! Thank you both for your service to our country! One day you will blink and be an old married woman like me with 5 kids and 12 years under your belt! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete