Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Brilliant Idea

I knew I wanted to do something special for Justin's deployment. I've always sent mounds of greeting cards with him during underways but I knew cards just weren't going to cut it this time around! I'm normally a very creative person, but this time I was just stuck. It was just so hard to think within the space constraints of berthing 6 (see "staterooms and seasickness" for explanation). It wasn't until I was driving my sweet friend Bethany back to the airport after she visited me in January that my plan began to take form. She planted this idea in my head that was just too good to dismiss.
"What about an iPad?" 
It was brilliant, really. So brilliant that I didn't know why I hadn't thought of it first. I wanted to share music and photos and letters but had such limited space. But this one tiny thing, this iPad, could hold all of that and more. Not to mention Justin had been drooling over them since they unveiled the first one. I made up my mind and went straight to the store from the airport and purchased a black 32G iPad. 

Me and B!

I instantly caught flack from several of my most tech-savvy friends. Why would I purchase one now when the second generation iPad was just around the corner? Good question. So I returned it. And waited. 

Meanwhile I fine-tuned my idea. After many more phone calls with Bethany, I settled on a theme for each of the seven months he would be gone, using the "fruits of the Spirit" as my guide. I also tossed in a creation of my own for good measure (and because I was lacking from doubling up on a few). Justin is a very responsible person but when it comes to being away, he has absolutely no self-control. He inevitably tears through everything the first few days he is gone. For example, during the last underway I sent his Valentine's present with him knowing he would be gone on the 14th. He opened it the second night he was gone, four weeks before Valentine's Day! While this may work for a four to five week underway, I knew it would not get him through an entire deployment. Working within the constraints of my theme, I planned something for EACH DAY he would be gone. Yes, it took a ridiculous amount of time. No, there is (almost) nothing I wouldn't do for my husband. He needed this.

A few weeks after returning the first iPad, they did indeed come out with a second generation. I'm glad I waited! Although I was number eight in line at the Navy Exchange, they were still out of the one I wanted (white 64G) so I settled for another black 32G. I loaded it up with everything and PASSWORD-PROTECTED much of the content to prevent him from ruining it the first day/week/month. I had the joy of sharing it with him last weekend as he prepared to leave. There could not have been a more rewarding feeling than the look of utter shock and delight on his face.  


My daily surprises start tomorrow. I'm so excited to finally let some of these secrets I've been harboring these last four months come to light! And to see the "fruits" of my labor. More details tomorrow.

Fair winds and following seas!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment