Monday, May 16, 2011

Mondays

So yesterday I shared what Justin's Sundays would look like...or at least what surprises Justin could expect to find stored on his iPad on Sundays. I forgot to mention, though, that the theme for this month (what's left of it anyway) is JOY! I chose this fruit of the spirit to start deployment with because I thought it would be one of the times it was hardest for Justin to feel joyful. He just left, is still getting adjusted to this new lifestyle, and missing home. My hope is that by focusing on "joy" through sermons and scriptures that he will find it easier to tap into the joy and comfort that only the Lord can provide. 

Which leads me to Mondays...Mondays are memory verses
(I'm huge on pneumonics)

Here's today's verse:
"Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength!" --Nehemiah 8:10
It's interesting how this project for Justin has turned into such a blessing for me as well. God has used the same verses and sermons that I selected for Justin as encouragement for me as well. I think that's why I've done so well the past 6 days. I have actually had a few really nice evenings! Last night I went to dinner and caught up with a sweet friend of mine, Arlene. Her husband, Jed, is on Justin's ship and they also used to live in our building. Arlene is not only a military spouse, she is also a naval officer! Don't be fooled though, it doesn't make separation any easier for them. They have each deployed once before and during almost the same period of time, so this a new experience for her too. Thankfully we share a love of food and cooking and plan to spend many more Sunday nights together during this deployment. I can't express how nice it is to have friends that understand and have "been there, done that." 

Jed & Arlene on deployment day

Fair winds and following seas!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment