Sunday, May 15, 2011

Week 1: Joy in the Lord

First, I would like to mention that it is May 15. While this may mean nothing to anyone else, it is very significant to our family because today marks the one-year anniversary of Justin's commissioning into the Navy as an officer and his promotion to active duty. What a year it's been! Most of the time it feels like it was just days ago.
To Justin--
I am so proud of you for all you have done and become in the last year! I've loved sharing this crazy military life with you and wouldn't change it if I could. It has certainly made our marriage stronger, as I know this deployment will. I look forward to the next three years of this adventure but am also so glad to say we are 1/4 of the way through this commitment!
I promised in yesterday's post that I would provide more details about Justin's iPad. Although each day is unique, the days of the week are the same. To clarify--every Sunday he will receive a sermon and a letter, but each one will be new. Now for a more detailed explanation:

1. The Sermons--I realized a few months ago that my sweet husband would have no form of church during the seven months he is deployed. I've had several people ask me about Chaplains so to preemptively answer this question--no, there is not a chaplain on his ship. How can that be? Because there is a chaplain for his entire strike group but he is on the USS George H W Bush (aircraft carrier). Without a longer explanation, no this does not help him any. So I have pulled sermons from some of my favorite pastors and uploaded them to his iPad, one for each Sunday. Without listening to each 45-ish minute sermon, I did the best I could to match them with the theme for that month. Arguably the most tedious part of this process!

I'm kicking off the sermons with the first of a series our pastor, Sal Sberna of Metropolitan Baptist, preached a few summers ago on fruits of the spirit. Click image below to hear for yourself.


2. The Letters--(Background) A few years ago I sent letters to Justin's friends and family asking them to send back a letter containing "words of wisdom" for his 21st birthday. I put each card into a photo album, along with the picture of the person who wrote it. Unfortunately I only received approximately 50% of what I requested, which is really sad considering I included the card to write on and a self-addressed, stamped return envelope. Although it made for a very special, unique gift that Justin still enjoys, I swore I would NEVER do that again. Didn't your mother ever teach you not to swear??

Well, I did it again. I emailed 30 friends and family asking them to send back letters of encouragement for Justin's deployment. This time, though, I took it a step further by asking each family to commit to praying for Justin the week he opened their letter (Sunday-Saturday). People always say "oh I'll pray for him" but over seven months, it's easy to forget. I thought it would be so much more powerful for Justin to know "this family, whose card I am reading today, is praying for me RIGHT NOW and all week long". As I expected, getting these emails back (for the most part) was like pulling teeth. I just don't understand what's so difficult? I tolerated this for his 21st birthday but I absolutely would not take "no" for an answer this time around. My husband is DEPLOYING! He needs you!! I nagged shamelessly. For months. And I'm happy to report I got all but one back in the end, and still had one letter for every single week! 
(note: nagging works)

Today's letter comes from Bart and Maureen, my godparents and next door neighbors of 22 years. I honestly could not imagine my life without them. In the one year I have lived here, I have missed them as much as my own parents. They have shaped so much of my childhood and adolescent memories--from watching me when my mom was sick from her MS to Maureen's wonderful gingerbread-decorating parties each Christmas. But what really makes them special is their love for each other. No other couple in my life has been such an example of what a Christ-centered marriage should look like. Their mutual love and respect for each other cannot go unnoticed and I swear after (?) years of marriage, their love still grows deeper each day. I hope that our marriage can leave such a legacy for our children one day. And what's more is they have welcomed Justin (once he passed Bart's approval test, of course!) with as much love as they have me. Together the four of us have shared many wonderful conversations in their living room or under their enormous grapefruit tree. They are just such a joy to be around and I love and admire them dearly! Thank you for loving and praying for us this week!

Bart & Maureen at Justin's graduation--one year ago today!

Fair winds and following seas!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment